National Professional Qualification for
The NPQH is the ‘qualification of choice’ for experienced leaders aspiring to a headship (or equivalent position) in educational organisations including: schools, nursery schools, pupil referral units (PRUs), secure units, academies and free schools, or head teachers new to post seeking additional professional development.
Delivered by Anglia Ruskin Leadership Development Alliance, the programme is delivered in a blended learning format comprising an induction, facilitated online courses, face-to-face conferences events and independent and work-based learning.
All participants will be expected to engage in supportive discussions with their peers throughout the programme. Participants must complete the programme (ie successfully complete assessment) within 18 months of commencing the programme.
Content & assessment
All participants will complete an induction and introduction to Action Learning Sets seminar.
You will cover the six content areas of the programme when you study five mandatory facilitated online courses. Each course is two weeks long. You will complete these courses in the first 9-12 months of your time on the programme.
- Strategy and Improvement
- Teaching and Curriculum Excellence
- Leading with Impact
- Working in Partnership
- Managing Resources and Risks
- Increasing Capability
The six content areas are common to each NPQ level, but the knowledge and skills within them increases in sophistication, depth and breadth progressively through the NPQ levels.
Regular conference events (approximately one per term) will be hosted by Anglia Ruskin Leadership Development Alliance schools at their own venues. Each conference will comprise a variety of 90 minute workshops which will focus on the seven leadership behaviours that are common to each NPQ level:
- Personal Drive
Conferences may also feature a variety of other sessions such as seminars by sector experts, Q&A sessions, assessment workshops, dedicated networking time and host school tours. Participants will be able to book to attend conferences – full day or half a day (am/pm) - in advance via our online booking system. As demand dictates, there will be a combination of weekday, weekend and twilight events to maximise opportunity for all to attend.
Assessment comprises two separate projects:
- The subject of one project must be based on your current school environment and its priorities.
- The other project must be based on your experiences during a nine day placement in another school. Your placement school should provide an opportunity for you to engage in leadership in a contrasting context to your home school. You will need to agree a suitable project with the Headteacher at your placement school.
Participants must complete the programme (ie successfully complete assessment) within 18 months of commencing the programme.
Who should attend?
- Those who are, or are aspiring to become, a headteacher or head of school with responsibility for leading a school.
- This includes those who are, or are aspiring to be, a head or head of school with cross-school responsibilities, eg a National Leader of Education (NLE).
The application round for the spring 2018 intake will open in due course.
Where you’ll study
Face-to-face conferences will be hosted at Anglia Ruskin Leadership Development Alliance school venues across our delivery area.
For details of costs, please see the Price list
Contact the NPQ Team at Anglia Ruskin University